Blue Oval Fanatics - Ford Forum

Go Back   Ford Forums & Technical Discussions > Ford Crossovers & SUVs > Ford Edge > Ford Edge Discussions

Unread 08-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
cameracarl
Cadet

Fan#: 4994
What I Drive: 2018 silver Edge

cameracarl Good Standing Member
2018 Edge Battery Died for no Reason

I bought a 2018 AWD V6 Edge three weeks ago. Last week, at 850 miles, I parked the vehicle on Sunday after a four hour drive and left it until Monday night. I opened it to get something out and locked it. On Tuesday night I went to open the car and the battery was completely dead. I was unable to use the key fob or Keyless Entry to open the car, so the tow truck driver had to use the "real" key to open the door. He jump started the Edge and it started right up, but the clock, date, radio stations, etc. were all reset to factory settings. I drove it 50 miles to the nearest Ford dealer who did a complete check of the electrical system: battery check, check for shorts, etc. They said they could find no codes or anything to explain why the battery went dead: no shorts, battery good, etc. They said I must have left a door open or something, but I know I didn't, and anyway, I thought the electrical system would shut off anything automatically after 10-45 minutes.

So, does anyone have an idea what I should do next? My wife doesn't want to drive the car if the battery can go dead in 24-48 hours with no identifiable cause. My local dealer is reluctant to run diagnostics since they say the warranty does not cover it if the car isn't broken.

p.s. if I am posting in the wrong forum, let me know and I'll repost correctly. Thanks.

Unread 08-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue

Fan#: 1121
What I Drive: 17 stang GT vert, 18 Explorer sport

I Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing MemberI Bleed Ford Blue Outstanding Standing Member
Most likely it was just a defective battery. It has happened before. Most dealers will try to blame you even for a warranty job. If they can get you to pay for a new battery then they get paid twice for the same job, once from you and then again when ford reimburses them.

Now for your specific issue, just drive the car and make sure you close all doors and lock the car every time you leave it. If it happens again, then you have something else going on and need to have it looked at. Most likely it will never happen again.
16 Blue Candy Focus Titanium 300A loaded--daughters DD
Unread 08-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
cameracarl
Cadet

Fan#: 4994
What I Drive: 2018 silver Edge

cameracarl Good Standing Member
Thanks. I just got back from the dealership where I bought the car. They found a dead cell in the battery and replaced the battery, so I hope this fixes my problems. Time will tell.